Caused by an overturned candle

Caused by an overturned candle

Presumably candles triggered a fire © Jean-Matthieu Gautier (KNA)

There was a fire in the sanctuary of a church in Essen-Bochold, Germany. A two-meter-high mountain made of papier mache was used in place of the Advent wreath during the Advent season. A candle started the fire, but it was quickly extinguished.

Presumably, an overturned candle in St. John Bosco lit a structure made of papier-mache on Thursday morning, Salesian Father Joachim Rathgeber told the Catholic News Agency (KNA). The sexton, who was preparing the morning service in the church, was able to extinguish the fire immediately together with another volunteer from the congregation.

Bishop Overbeck celebrates last mass in June

"It was a stroke of luck," said Fr. With the help of a fan, the alarmed fire department then drove the smoke out of the place of worship. No one was hurt. In the course of the so-called parish development process in the diocese of Essen, the church of Saint John Bosco is closed down. On 21. Ruhr bishop Franz-Josef Overbeck celebrates last mass in the church in June.

On Friday, the church is to be cleaned of soot particles. After that, it could be reopened, said Rathgeber. "Nothing has happened to the church," he stressed. There was no property damage. The parish had used a mountain of papier mache about two meters high in place of an Advent wreath during the Advent season. The theme had been mountain hiking, the chaplain explained. "One sets out on the road to Christmas."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.