Bishop Gregor Maria Hanke of Eichstatt and Bavarian Prime Minister Horst Seehofer have publicly rebuked the handling of abuse allegations against resigned Augsburg Bishop Walter Mixa and warned against prejudging him.
Bishop Hanke said in Eichstatt on Wednesday that two full-time employees of his diocese had disregarded guidelines. According to the bishop, the employees had contacted the Augsburg diocese directly with information, without contacting the Eichstatt vicar general or abuse commissioner. The bishop also expressed his surprise that the diocese of Augsburg had "single-handedly pursued" these indications without contacting the alleged victim. He himself had also been informed by Augsburg only shortly before going to the General Prosecutor's Office in Munich. Hanke urged strict adherence to the guidelines of the bishops and the diocesan guidelines in the clarification of abuse cases. This was absolutely necessary, he said, also to avoid new injustice.
Seehofer: Mixa also has a right to constitutional procedure Bavarian Prime Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) has warned against pre-judging Mixa. Mixa, who is suspected of abuse, also has a right "to have the rules of the constitutional state observed," Seehofer told the "Passauer Neue Presse" (Wednesday). "To already derive evaluations from allegations and conjectures, I do not think is good." The prime minister called the abuse allegations against Mixa a "bitter thing". Even after the resignation, everything would have to be clarified. Pope Benedict XVI. Had accepted Mixa's resignation request from mid-April over the weekend. Previously, accusations of mistreatment of children and misappropriation of foundation funds had become loud. To this end, a special investigator in Schrobenhausen will present a new report on Friday. In addition, it became known on Friday that the Ingolstadt public prosecutor's office is investigating accusations against Mixa for sexual abuse. The bishop denies the accusations.