Karl Haucke (l.), spokesman for the affected persons' advisory council of the Archdiocese of Cologne © Julia Steinbrecht (KNA)
The second speaker of the advisory board of victims of sexualized violence at the Archdiocese of Cologne has also resigned from his office. In addition, Karl Haucke told the ARD magazine Monitor that he would leave the board.
He felt instrumentalized in the archdiocese's decision not to publish the finished expert report by a Munich law firm on the responsibility of archdiocesan leaders in abuse cases. The other spokesman of the council, which currently still consists of eight people, Patrick Bauer, also resigned last week for the same reasons.
Cardinal Rainer Maria Woelki of Cologne and Vicar General Markus Hofmann announced at the end of October that they did not want to publish the report, which had been awaited for some time, because of methodological deficiencies, and that they had received the approval of the advisory council for those affected. After the fact, however, Bauer expressed doubts; deliberations over non-publication "did not go well". The board is split on the question.
Sleep disturbances and nightmares after bishopric decision
Haucke said: "I hardly sleep anymore, I have nightmares again, I had to change my medication." He could not avoid resigning if he felt he was being "damaged".
For the diocese of Aachen, the Munich law firm presented on Thursday a similar expertise as for the archdiocese of Cologne. It incriminates former bishop Heinrich Mussinghoff, his two predecessors and former vicars general. They had protected perpetrators; victim welfare had played no role.